For example, see:
105. If setting local parking standards for residential and non-residential development, policies should take into account:
- (a) the accessibility of the development;
- (b) the type, mix and use of development;
- (c) the availability of and opportunities for public transport;
- (d) local car ownership levels; and
- (e) the need to ensure an adequate provision of spaces for charging plug-in and other ultra-low emission vehicles.
127. Planning policies and decisions should ensure that developments:
- (a) will function well and add to the overall quality of the area, not just for the short term but over the lifetime of the development;
- (b) are visually attractive as a result of good architecture, layout and appropriate and effective landscaping;
- (c) are sympathetic to local character and history, including the surrounding built environment and landscape setting, while not preventing or discouraging appropriate innovation or change (such as increased densities);
- (d) establish or maintain a strong sense of place, using the arrangement of streets, spaces, building types and materials to create attractive, welcoming and distinctive places to live, work and visit;
- (e) optimise the potential of the site to accommodate and sustain an appropriate amount and mix of development (including green and other public space) and support local facilities and transport networks; and
- (f) create places that are safe, inclusive and accessible and which promote health and well-being, with a high standard of amenity for existing and future users 46 ; and where crime and disorder, and the fear of crime, do not undermine the quality of life or community cohesion and resilience.
174. To protect and enhance biodiversity and geodiversity
BANES Local Plans:
For amenity of residents and the character and appearance of the area, see Policies D1, D2, D3, D5 and D6 of the Bath and North East Somerset Placemaking Plan.
See Placemaking Plan Policies D1, D2 and D5 which collectively require development proposals to contribute positively to local character and distinctiveness.
For highway safety standards. See policy ST7 of the Placemaking Plan for Bath and North East Somerset (2017) and part 4 of the NPPF.
For provision of parking, see C3 residential parking standards